Turning the Mirror: A View From the East is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and award-winning writer Pankaj Mishra. The conversation provides behind-the-scenes insights into several of Pankaj’s books, including From the Ruins of Empire: The Intellectuals Who Remade Asia and An End To Suffering: The Buddha In The World, and his motivations to write them.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, The Weight of History, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- A Different Perspective – Unknown intellectuals and overlooked worldviews
- Demanding a Response – Reacting to an existential challenge
- Inseparable Factors? – Capitalism, imperialism and modernity
- East and West – A meaningful distinction?
- Discovering Buddhism – Transcending false stereotypes
- Personal Examinations – Growing up Western in the East
- At an Impasse – The end of an experiment
- Learning From the Past – The benefits of increased historical understanding
Available in electronic format on all major booksellers, including:
Turning the Mirror: A View From the East Also is also part of the five-part Ideas Roadshow Collection, Conversations About The History of Ideas, which is available in both paperback and electronic format.
We’ve produced a one-hour video of our conversation with Pankaj Mishra which is available on Vimeo On Demand: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/turningthemirror