Ocean Enlightenment is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Edie Widder, Founder, CEO and Senior Scientist at Ocean Research & Conservation Association (ORCA). After an inspiring story about how Edie Widder became a seagoing marine biologist and deep-sea diver, this conversation covers topics such as bioluminescence which is a fascinating scientific phenomenon that provides us with a deeper understanding of fundamental biological processes and the development of new programs designed to equip a new generation with the tools they need to deal with the environmental devastation we’re facing.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, From Sea to Shining Sea, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- Bright Beginnings – Underwater awesomeness and environmental opportunities
- Bioluminescence – Evolution in action
- The Eye-in-the-Sea – Glimpsing the unseen
- Grappling with a Coastline Crisis – Measuring toxicity and creating pollution maps
- Kids to the Rescue – A reason for optimism
- Existential Challenges – Global concerns and worthy precedents
Available in electronic format on all major booksellers, including:
Ocean Enlightenment is also part of the five-part Ideas Roadshow Collection, Conversations About The Environment, which is available in hardcover, paperback and electronic format.