Harnessing the Sun is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and Jenny Nelson, Professor of Physics and Head of the Climate Change Mitigation Team at the Grantham Institute at Imperial College London. After inspiring insights about Jenny Nelson’s academic journey, the conversation examines different solar energy processes, solar energy conversion technology, novel varieties of material for use in solar cells, and the materials used to build and improve photovoltaic, and other renewable, technologies, which convert energy from the sun into electricity.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, Making A Difference, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- Finding Her Place – The wanderings of a socially-conscious physicist
- Solar Energy – The big picture
- Materials – An array of different possibilities
- Models vs. Labs – An intriguing balance
- Real-World Impact – Getting from here to there
- A Brighter Future? – Hopefully
Available in electronic format on all major booksellers, including
Harnessing the Sun is also part of the five-part Ideas Roadshow Collection, Conversations About Physics, Volume 2, which is available in hardcover, paperback and electronic format.