Democracy: Clarifying the Muddle is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and renowned political theorist John Dunn, University of Cambridge. Through an engaging dialogue format, John Dunn candidly shares his deep insights on the historical development and current significance and future of democracy in different parts of the world and the relevance of political science departments in achieving democracy and other worthwhile goals.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, Democratic Daze, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- Illusions and Confusions – Unmasking American stereotypes
- Historical Examinations – The power of etymology
- Thinking Deeper – Minimizing political bads
- Trust and Belief – Thinking critically
- China – Challenging Western ideals?
- India – The world’s largest democracy
- Power to the People – Overthrowing autocracy and what happens next
- Towards Progress – Why we should care about all of this
- Professional Indulgence – Critically examining “political science”
Available in electronic format on all major booksellers, including:
Democracy: Clarifying the Muddle is also part of the five-part Ideas Roadshow Collection, Conversations About Politics, which is available in both paperback and electronic format.