The Passionate Historian is based on an in-depth filmed conversation between Howard Burton and John Elliott, Professor of Modern History at University of Oxford. This extensive conversation provides behind-the-scenes insights into how an undergraduate encounter with a 17th-century painting of The Count-Duke Olivares led John Elliott on a lifelong odyssey to study the history of Spain, Europe and the Americas in the early modern period to become one of the greatest Spanish historians of our age.
This carefully-edited book includes an introduction, Two Cheers for Objectivity, and questions for discussion at the end of each chapter:
- Beginnings – The benefits of travel
- In Search of Objectivity – Sentimental dangers
- Past and Present – How to revivify yourself
- Circumventing Obstacles – The benefits of pressing on
- Doing History – Comparing, connecting and writing well
- The Power of Imagination – Surprise tests and non-barking dogs
- Decline – What it means, exactly
- The Impact of Technology – Strengths and weaknesses
- Going Global – Opportunities and challenges
- History’s Due – Beyond the theme park
“Ideas Roadshow is an exciting venture which aims to make accessible to a large audience the ideas and reflections of some of today’s most creative minds. Howard Burton never imposes himself and is skilled in drawing the best out of his scintillating array of guests.” — John Elliott
Available in electronic format via all major retailers, including:
The Passionate Historian is also part of the five-part Ideas Roadshow Collection, Conversations About History, Volume 2, which is available in both paperback and electronic format.